Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Does he hear the temple bells?

     Broken Flowers is a silent film by the legendary director D.W. Griffith who is on my list for least favorite directors of all time. I have yet to watch a movie of his that I like and I doubt I ever will. All of the movies of his that I have seen are dull, slow, and trying to hard to be meaningful. The story of this film is about a Chinese immigrant named the yellow man (you can't make this stuff up) or the chink if you get more than thirty minutes into this one. He falls in love with a grimy street rat who is the daughter of a very abusive father named Battling Burrows. Another evil character is called Evil Eye. This man truly spent years deciding these names. But, the dad basically does everything he can to keep the yellow man and Lucy apart.

       Ok so after about minute forty nothing happened so I started to play Sonic as I watched and it wasn't until the last ten minutes anything happened. If your movie takes over an hour to get interesting scrap your movie on the spot. The acting was terrible for a silent film and the sets were awful. I've seen blank canvases with more set design. Geesem what a terrible picture. I read Ebert's review and he even said that this movie was dated and hard to watch at some points.

     So I have pretty much bashed this flick enough so allow me to try to find one silver lining and that is the closet scene. If you have seen The Shining you'll remember the bathroom scene when Jack breaks down the door. That's the scene and probably what influenced it. This movie is on Netflix and if you don't have a life you can give this one a try but I wouldn't.

Ebert's score 4 stars

Tyler's score 1 star

No comments:

Post a Comment