Friday, October 18, 2013

Such a lot of guns around town and so few brains!


      If you've been following my blog you know I love me a good film noir I also thank you sincerely for reading what I have to say about movies. Film noir is just one of those genres that I just can get behind I think it's because I'm about as cynical as anyone in them. Today I watched one I am ashamed to have never seen before and that's the classic The Big Sleep. This film just kept me right on the edge of my seat the whole time, which is important in a great film. The movie stars Humphrey Bogart as private eye  Phillip Marlowe who is assigned to a blackmailing case. During this time he falls in love with the daughter of the man he's working for. The, to the horror of the characters and the delight of us the movie goes through more turns then a mountain trail and more and more bodies start to pile up.

     This movie has the same atmosphere as some of the other movie's I have reviewed so far and has that same sense of hopelessness all film noirs share. However, I think the main difference in this movie was the actresses who were leap years ahead of those in the other movies. They were also complete bombshells(sorry for my slang allow me to step back into today's time). The movie just has an incredible story and an all star cast. Bogart is one of if not the best actor of the film noir age and his star power shows heavy as well as some surprising minor characters who act just as well.

     The sets are very well done, but the thing that shocked me the mos was the sound effects. Every gunshot sounded way better than it should have. All the duologue was easy to hear and was very well written. This may be the best movie of the week and if you liked The Maltese Falcon you must give this one a try. If you haven't been introduced to the wisecracked and bleak world of film noir yet give these to titles a buy not a rent. You'll be happy you did.

Ebert's score 4 stars

Tyler's score 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment