Thursday, October 10, 2013

I'm not afraid of death, but I am afraid of murder.

     Today I watched a movie by the name of The Conversation it's a good thriller directed by Mr. Coppola (Apocalypse Now, The Godfather) This movie stars Gene Hackman in a great role for him. The movie is on instant stream but you may need subtitles I did. The movie follows Henry Caul a audio tracker as he follows two young people and records their voices for a director of a large company. The movie rather slowly takes its time to let you know that these two people may be in danger of getting murdered. The movie then takes another long amount of time to do anything about it. This is one slow movie and the longest feeling two hours I've had in a long time. However, the last thirty minutes are well wort it.

     As I said this movie takes a lot of time to build and I think that it is because this movie is trying to be like Taxi Driver by being a character study. Gene Hackman is great in this role the last ten minutes are just screen gold it's just to bad the movie to that long to get to it. This movie is a thriller but it isn't anywhere near to Hitchcock's masterpieces which I would say watch before you watch this.

     The movie has a lot of downs but it also has a lot more ups. The acting is great and the sets make everything feel cramped and hopeless which works well in this picture. The soundtrack reminds me a lot of the semi-underground movie Ink (4 stars) The film as a whole works but if I was directing I would take a lot of it out. Is this movie a great film no. But is this movie as bad as others I've seen, also no. If you are looking for a thriller to chill your bones go watch North By Northwest or Vertigo. This movie is a one time watch. Give it a try and let me know in the comments what you thought about it.

Ebert's score 4 stars

Tyler's score 3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment