Thursday, October 31, 2013

People and worms

     Today I also watched the movie that proved what you could do with editing. This is the movie that showed us what was possible and what emotions we could evoke with the camera. I'm talking about the Russian masterpiece The Battleship Potemkin. This movie is often called a propaganda film but I think that is a term used by those who just don't like it. Now I'm not suggesting that this film isn't heavily communist influenced but I think it's a historical movie. The movie is about a mutiny of a battleship and the aftermath that follows. You may know this one for the staircase scene.

     This movie is one of the best silent pictures ever made and the editing is perfection. I cannot really describe it to you but only express how it moved me. That is the best thing an editor can hear and this movie was cut in a way that moves us every time we see it. The one complaint I have for this movie is it is in black and white and has a crudely colored red flag. I am not saying that it should be perfect but in early films namely The Phantom of the Opera we say an array of colors in the palate and none where craply added in. But even this isn't enough to ruin this film.

     This movie is on instant stream and should be watched by everyone as it is one of the most iconic films in the silent era and I think all of us should know some movies of that time. This movie is short and sweet but oh is it powerful you really must watch this one. Tomorrow I'll write down my top ten of this month. Happy Halloween

Ebert's score 4 stars

Tyler's score 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment