Tuesday, October 22, 2013

I gotta model myself after someone

     I am not a huge Woody Allen fan I never had been. However, I do count him around the top film makers of all time. His movie Manhattan is  a classic Woody Allen film and is a very good film at. The film stars Woody as a TV writer named Isaac Davis who is dating a high schooler much like Scott Pilgrim. He goes through life trying to find love and a purpose in life while his ex-wife writes a book about him. His pals are also pretty much trying to do the same thing. Isaac meets a girl named Mary and they romance it from there.

      The movie is shot in black and white which shows us the mindset and the bleakness of Isaac's world. His world is not black and white but full of grey areas everything he does is wrong or right or pointless. He cannot cope anymore so the film shows that through its lack of color. The movie is also full of wit and banter of the usual kind we are to expect from a Woody Allen film. However, is this movie a great film? I think this movie is good and funny but there is something that was lacking and it wasn't heart. I think it was caring. I didn't care much for any of the characters or their action. A movie should make me feel like I am part of it not just watching it. That being said these performances are great and Woody and the cast truly show us what real life is.

     I do recommend this if you have never seen a Woody Allen picture but it isn't as high on my list as a few of the other films I have seen this month or even this week. Overall this movie has a lot of good things in it. The Camera work is mild and doesn't take a lot of detail which works wonders for this movie but for a movie about people lost in life trying to make it I just didn't feel like they felt lost enough. As always let me know if I'm wrong though.

Ebert's score 4 stars

Tyler's score 3.5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment