Saturday, October 12, 2013

People lose teeth talking like that

     I have already said how much I love a good film noir more than most movies and today I watched the quintessential one and that is The Maltese Falcon . This movie has everything you need and more this movie is great in every way you look at it. I'm guessing most of you haven't seen it because it is such an old film however, this is one of the movies to watch before you die for sure. The film follows detective Sam Spade ( Humphrey Bogart) who is sent to follow a man by Thrisby. His partner is shot dead and his all turns out to be a scheme for a statue of a bird encrusted in gold and jewels.  Many different people get involved and this just makes the movie about how is playing who and it does so spectacularly.

      This film uses shadows to help hide the action and make everything seen dark and dreary. The characters are all great and I'm not talking about the actors but the characters themselves. And the dialogue is just so perfect I love old timey slanglike "They shot him close one shot right through the pump". What?!? perfection. This movie is an oldy but a goldy and I strongly suggest if your looking for an exciting film check this old standby out.

      Seriously go rent this treasure chest right now because it is that good (So are most of the movies on this list). This movie is thrilling, exciting, and downright mind bending in a non-David Lynch way. If I had to pick the best film noir film of all time it would be this one and if I had to pick the best detective movie of all time this would either be it or a strong number two. I have no complaints about this movie because it is as perfect as a mystery story gets.

Ebert's score 4 stars

Tyler's score 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment